Saffron – The BEST Thai food in San Diego!
Famous for its one of a kind service (quick, but personal) and delicious dishes (Mmm…traditional Thai cooking), Saffron holds a special place in the hearts of San Diegans, including myself. Saffron’s no-frills and true-to-itself style makes it the perfect place to sit down with your City Beat and watch the world go by, as you wait for the sublime delicacy that will be your next meal.
Behind the scenes is the extremely talented Su Mei Yu, whose insanely delicious recipes have won numerous awards. Very rarely behind the scenes, however, Su Mei Yu is often on the front lines, helping prepare her famous recipes and talking with customers. It is this caring atmosphere (along with excellent entrees) that will keep you coming back for more.
Believe the Hype
As San Diego’s first authentic Thai restaurant, Saffron has been filling the tummies of San Diegans since 1985. This more than tasty eatery quickly became a favorite for San Diego and soon had the city’s attention with its many awards. Saffron has won USA Today restaurant polls, numerous silver fork awards from San Diego Home and Garden Magazine, who also named Su Mei Yu the “Restaurateur of the Year.” Saffron also earns the award of “Best Takeout” every year in San Diego Magazine.
- If you love spicy food, this is definitely the place for you. Anything can be ordered spicy, or extra spicy, or even spicier (up to five peppers, I believe). If spicy isn’t your thing, there are more than enough flavorful, unique dishes that don’t make your eyes water (and anything can be ordered not-spicy).
- The sauces accompanying your meal are made from scratch and fresh every day.
- The menu specializes in saffron marinated chicken prepared using traditional Thai methods.
- The menu is designed seasonally, using fresh, seasonal ingredients.
- Saffron uses only the freshest ingredients, and everything is prepared when you order it.
- All of the above makes for some healthy, tasty dishes – no trans fats included!
- Did I mention it’s affordable? Most dishes are under $10.
- Spicy Drunken Noodles
- Pad See Ew
- Chicken Sate with Peanut Sauce
- Thai Iced Tea
Be green: bring your own clean and proper implements or takeout container and receive 10% off your purchase!