Balboa Park for Kids
Balboa Park… this park is a true San Diego treasure! Many of the buildings around the Pan American Plaza were specifically created for the 1920 & 1935 Pan American Expositions. The park houses 13 museums in Spanish Revival buildings, the San Diego Zoo, many botanical gardens and several theater houses. There are special events happening at the Park all the time, especially on the weekends and during the summer months. You can spend a whole day in Balboa Park without seeing it all! If you want to see all of the museums during your trip, buy the “Passport to Balboa” from our Front Desk, the pass will give you access to all 13 museums at a significant discount.
Things the kids especially love in Balboa Park
• Located right outside of the zoo entrance is the Balboa Park Carousel (built in 1910). This carousel is loved by kids as well as adults. Try to grab the golden ring for a free ride, also ride the miniature train.
• The Reuben H. Fleet Science Center museum has a great kid’s area for hands-on learning activities and includes an IMAX theater. The theater has a separate charge.
• The San Diego Automotive Museum houses hot rods, Ford Roadsters, Ferraris, a 1953 Jaguar XK 120, a 1909 International Harvester and a 1905 Tourist. A great place for car enthusiasts.
• San Diego Model Railroad Museum is a great place if you love trains or want to learn more about them. The best part is a city recreated in miniature size.
• For kids who are fascinated by planes, then a visit to the San Diego Air & Space Museum is a must!