Inn-Sider’s Guide: Sports Arena Area
Just 5 minutes driving time from the hotel is the Sports Arena area. Here you will find all your big box store needs. On Sports Arena Blvd. there is a Target, Ross and Ralphs Supermarket, on Midway Dr. you’ll find TJ Maxx, Home Goods, CVS and Walgreens Pharmacy, as well as Sprouts Farmers Market.
But the Sports Arena area is much more than just mega stores, you will also find many delicious eclectic and traditional restaurants. Below are a few of our recommendations.
- For a healthy smoothie and light lunch, visit Casa de Juice on Midway Dr. It is a small little juice shop making fresh and delicious juices to order. Try their shrimp ceviche rolled “jicatacos” small tacos made with jicama instead of tortillas. Try them! Their vegi torta is also delicious!
- The Gourmet Bagger is our go-to sandwich shop! Every sandwich comes in its own brown bag, with a freshly made buttery chocolate chip cookie and a mint. Grab your sandwich and head over to a nearby park or the beach and enjoy the beautiful weather!
- Tandoori House is a quaint Indian restaurant with a delicious, reasonably priced and generous lunch menu. The staff is very nice. If you want REALLY spicy, let them know you can handle it ☺ Drive slowly, or you’ll miss it (by the Taco Bell).
- If you have never tried Middle Eastern food, Fairouz Café is a great place for an introduction. They have an incredible buffet filled with items that taste homemade. “You don’t eat no meat? That’s OK, they make lamb.” ;D. If you’re a vegetarian, you will be very happy here! We can’t recommend this restaurant highly enough. Please keep in mind, this is not Hometown Buffet. As an added bonus, the restaurant also doubles as an art studio.
- Lunch or Dinner
- In the mood for Greek? Then Georgia’s Greek Cuisine is where you need to be. Located in a shopping center on Rosecrans St. this place has it all…delicious food, friendly service, great prices and lots of parking! The Baklava is scrumptious.
- Are you the type whose vacation is not complete until you have a Flintstones-like slab of meat in front of you, then go to Phil’s BBQ on Sports Arena Blvd. Arguably, the best ribs in San Diego! Don’t turn away if there is a line, with ten cash registers ready, their service is super fast! Try the ribs & chicken combo.
- Another favorite Indian restaurant in the area is Taste of the Himalayas. A favorite rice dish is the Vegetable Biryani and the chicken tikka is unbelievable. The restaurant décor is perfect for a romantic dinner.