Terra: A Fresh Take on Farm-to-Table Restaurants
Deliciously Fresh and Wonderfully Different
I recently ventured to a farm-to-table restaurant by the name of Terra, located in the college area. I had never been, but had heard of it through family. When they suggested Terra for a birthday dinner, I was more than happy to check it out. I was especially excited to try a farm-to-table restaurant, which was something new to me. Before Terra, I was only vaguely familiar with the concept. Now, after dining at Terra, I am very aware of just how splendid farm-to-table can be.
But what exactly is farm-to-table? Allow me to fill you in (if you don’t already know).
- Farm-to-table refers to a movement concerned with producing food locally and delivering that food to local consumers.
- The movement may be associated with organic farming, sustainable agriculture, and community supported agriculture.
- Farm-to-table calls for the use of the freshest ingredients, while attempting to educate us about the important, and a lot of the time forgotten, link between farmers, farm communities, ancient food production practices, and the food we eat.
- A restaurant that chooses to buy their produce directly from local food producers regularly yields healthier, better quality meals for their customers.
Sound a bit boring? Maybe. But believe me, you won’t find it boring when you’re eating it. The food at Terra is great, unbelievably fresh, and deliciously interesting. The service here is amazing too; our waitress for the night was extremely attentive and knowledgeable.
The food and the service come together to create this great vibe you get from the place. The ambiance is relaxing and the decor is simple and rustic. Even though it was pretty busy, the hostess was very understanding when we told her that we were still waiting for the rest of our party. She sat us at the bar and we ordered a couple drinks while we waited.
Keeping with the great vibes and comfortable atmosphere, the bartender was in a good mood – very helpful and informative. We tried a Bloody Mary and one of their specialty cocktails – a Ginger Lemongrass Mojito. Both were amazing; the Bloody Mary was flavorful and spicy, and the Mojito was unlike any I have ever tasted.
When our party arrived, we were seated immediately, thanks to our hostess. The most difficult part of the night was choosing an entrée. Everything on the menu looked amazing, and I pledged at once to keep coming back until I had tried everything. Twice.
We eventually managed to decide, and our questions were answered knowledgeably by our waitress. Our meals appeared, and we devoured them almost as quickly as they arrived. All of us agreed that this was one of the better meals we’d had in a long time. The freshness of the food was exceptional, along with the flawless presentation and elegant preparation. Every meal was cooked to perfection, and very well thought out; everything on the plate had flavors that stood out, yet complimented each other. Sides like the honey glazed mashed potatoes kept things exciting.
The dessert was just as good, with lots of classic choices, like Crème Brulee, and also some creative new ones, like Chipotle Chocolate Cake. I had my usual choice, the Crème Brulee. It was incredible.
Overall, I was very impressed with the quality of food at Terra.
You can really taste the freshness, and it makes a big difference. The interesting combination of flavors and ingredients is extraordinary. Everything at Terra is made from scratch; from the freshest and best ingredients, often with a delicious twist. This includes the sauces and condiments. Even the ketchup is homemade in Terra’s kitchen, with a distinct flair.
Terra’s food is not the only thing that leaves an impression. The nice lighting, simple décor, and great service make for a calming and casual atmosphere. Jeff, the chef/ owner, sometimes comes out at the end of your meal to say hello and ask about your experience.
It is great to find a restaurant that uses local grown foods and a sustainable approach with such an interesting, appealing outcome. With its charming atmosphere, mouth-watering food, and pleasant service, Terra is a refreshing choice for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and will be for a long time to come.
- Terra is located just a few blocks away from the Best Western Lamplighter Inn!!!
- Terra has great vegetarian choices.
- Lobster Bisque
- Lobster Mac n Cheese
- Chipotle Skirt Steak
- Good desserts: Crème Brulee, Chipotle Chocolate Cake, Chocolate Cigar
- Terra is located on:
7091 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA92115
- Phone: (619) 293-7088
- Email: email@example.com
- Hours — Brunch: Sun 9:00am – 2:00pm
- Lunch: Mon – Fri 11:30am – 2:00pm
- Early Dining: Sun & Tues – Thurs 4:30pm – 6:00pm
- Dinner: Tues – Sun from 4:30pm
- Directions from Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU:
- Head southwest on El Cajon Blvd toward Art St
- Make a U-turn at Art St
- Destination will be on the right – 7091 El Cajon Blvd.