Top 6 Things to do on a Rainy Day in San Diego
The weather is pretty bleak here in San Diego right now, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have fun! Here are some great things to do on a rainy day:
1) What rainy day would be complete without a trip to the movies? For a luxury movie experience, check out Cinepolis in Del Mar. With their super comfy reclining seats, food and drink service before and during the movie (don’t worry, you hardly notice the servers), and full bar, you really can’t go wrong with Cinepolis.
- 12905 El Camino Real, 92130
- (858) 794 – 4045 for movie times.
2) Find your inner child at the Coin-op Game Room arcade and bar in North Park. With 25 classic arcade games, and 2 pinball machines. 20 beer taps, craft cocktails, and an eclectic snacks menu makes this a great place to wait out the storm.
- 3926 30th St. 92104
3) See a real IMAX movie at the Rueben H. Fleet Science C
enter. Kids and adults can have a blast at the science center in Balboa Park, with its amazing 76 foot dome theater screen and 16,000 watt, 6.1 digital sound system. You have never experienced IMAX like this!
Movies playing in the IMAX dome theater:
- Journey to the South Pacific
- Hubble Space Telescope
- Mysteries of the Unseen World
Kids will love the interactive exhibits also featured at the science center. While you wait to see your IMAX movie, check out amazing exhibits like:
- On the Fly: Tech takes off – this exhibition features multiple daily performances by small-scale unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), complemented by interactive stations where visitors can create flying objects of their own and then test them out using wind tubes or a motorized airplane launcher.
- Guitar: The Instrument that Rocked the World – Experience the guitar through 60 instruments, nearly 100 artifacts and 15 incredible interactive exhibits. Explore the inner workings of an electric guitar, flip switches and turn knobs in the hands-on exhibit “Inside an Electric Guitar” and dive into the vast history and evolution of the world’s greatest instrument … the guitar!
4) Bowling Downtown – East Village Tavern + Bowl features bowling lanes, great music to get your bowl on to, pool tables, a full bar, and food from burgers to potato skins stuffed to the brim and giant cookies! All in all a great time on a rainy day!
- Hours: 11:30 am to 2am
- 9th and Market St.
5) Birch Aquarium – Explore the wonders of the sea! Exhibits include: There’s something about Seahorses, Whales: Voices in the Sea, Coral Displays, and Elasmo Beach. Elasmo Beach is a 13,000 gallon tank filled with Birch Aquarium’s legendary Leopard Sharks and other species of Elasmobrachs (sharks and rays).
- Go at feeding times to see Elasmo Beach in action! Feeding times: Tues, Thurs, Sat @ 10:30am
- 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, 92037
- Open 9:00am to 5:00pm
- (858) 534 – 3474
6) Theme Parks and Attractions! If you don’t mind a little rain, go to The Zoo, Sea World, Disneyland, Legoland or any theme park with long lines, there won’t be any in the rain!!