Weekend Dining: Hillcrest
This weekend we turn our attention to Hillcrest, that bohemian neighborhood full of art galleries, coffee houses and high-end furniture stores. And of course, a ton of yummy spots to try!
• Do fresh baked pastries and coffee for breakfast sound good to you? Then walk run fly over to Bread & Cie! Chocolate croissants, cinnamon rolls, cranberry orange muffins, pumpkin walnut muffins, orange chocolate scones…why are you still reading this?! You should be there already!
• For a hearty and yummy breakfast visit the Crest Café. The restaurant is small in size but the plates are very generous.
• Another option for a delicious and HUGE breakfast is the Hash House a Go-Go (on the east side of Hillcrest). This place is popular, so on the weekends try to get there before 10am.
• If you enjoy spicy and savory, visit India Palace, located in a shopping center on University Ave, the décor is intimate and warm. They have a great lunch buffet. Make sure you go with a hearty appetite; you’ll want to try everything! You must try the mango ice-cream.
• Always wanted to try Afghan food but never had the chance? Well then make sure to visit Khyber Pass. The food can be spicy but with lots of flavor, the portions are generous.
• If you’re a fan of Spanish Tapas, try Tapas Picasso Spanish Restaurante. The tapas are delicious, the space is quaint, and the owner is so nice! They have a really good Happy Hour, everyday from 5-7pm with several $5 tapas. The restaurant is small so on the weekends it gets full fast. But check it out, it’s worth it!
• For delicious gourmet pizza, try La Pizzeria Arrivederci. The individual pizzas are between $10 and $12 and are cooked in a wood fired oven. We know that pizza experiences are very personal, but we do believe this is some of the best in town.
For all you farmers’ market groupies – Hillcrest has one of the best! If you’re in town on a Sunday morning, head over to Hillcrest Farmers Market held on the DMV parking lot on Normal St. from 9am to 2pm, rain or shine. You will love it!